Friday, September 26, 2008

hi & lo

I went to Hilo the other day, on my day off. I put my bicycle on the bus and headed to the big city. (Which bike rack rubbed the sides of my tires so bald I have since had a total tire blow-out and am mildly depressed). In town I bumbled, puttered, appreciated, and recoiled.

'Hmm?' you say.

From the abomination which I shall refer to as the "middle-aged-tourist-fat-man...shirt?"

Just because you are on vacation, it is Hawaii, it is hot, and you are a man, does not mean you are entitled to loll about, on the sidewalk, eating ice cream, with your shirt off. No. Not off - that would be somehow more acceptable. But rolled up over your ponderous paunch.

And it was not one man. Not two. But five. Apparently all deriving some sort of ill-advised strength in numbers.

And they were with their wives. And not a wife looked around at the rest of us pinned to our cafe chairs in abject horror and quietly motioned to her respective husband to 'roll down your shirt.' (um...note: I do not subscribe to traditional gender roles - no no nope - but, in defense of myself, they seemed to).

And they were sunburned. Which transformed the merely obscene, into the macabre.

1 comment:

brook said...

well now you know that if they were sunburned they were just trying to cool off.
geez. how do you cool off when you're sunburned?
and don't tell me you prevent sunburns by wearing sunblock cause that's just krazy.