Monday, January 12, 2009

woe to me

Ummm... hello? Is anybody out there? yoohoo?

Oh good. There you are.

Hmm. I know I've been gone a while, but guys? it wasn't because of you. Okay? Don't blame yourselves. I love you and all that you stand for. It's me. My problem. Okay?

I know, I know. I come back all of the sudden and expect you all to be here. Just waiting. And caring. It's too much, I know. But please understand, I needed this. I needed to go away for a spell and just really wallow in self pity. You understand?

Of course you do.

I mean, poor me. Really. Trapped in Hawaii - wearing short shorts and running out of sunblock. I had all these plans to run off to faraway paradises but noOOOooOOOoo. I just had to go and get myself stuck here. Pshaw. Seriously. The beach is forty minutes away. What kind of Hawaii is that?

Also, I'm a farmer now. I want to enjoy the 'fruits of my labor.' Well I tell you the fruits are not of my labor or anybody's. How can I enjoy those fruits when I did not labor for them? When they are, in fact, so plentiful, that the labor is in enjoying all of them?

It's not like I can enjoy the 'cheeses of my labor' now can I? That just sounds ridiculous.

And nobody told me about the mold. Everything is moldy. Everything. Including myself if I stand still long enough.

To top it off the people are all really nice and laid-back. What the hell is THAT? Where is the angst? The ennui? I'll tell you. It's surfing, that's where. And drinking up sunshine on the near-distant beach. (When it should rightly be, in my opinion, slipping on icy sidewalks and grumbling into its cups in bars and cafes, not playing ukuleles. {And don't think I'm joking about that. Or exaggerating. I'm not. You show me a ukulele-free beach in Hawaii and I'll point out the fact that there is a screaming gale and it's 3:30 am.})

yak. all this sunshine is getting to me.

If you get some time, please forward pity.

4 comments:

Alina Klein said...

Hey! I tried to call you yesterday to provide pity IN PERSON! Or, at least, in voiceon. I'll try again tomorrow if I get the chance.t

I still say get out of dodge. out. of. dodge. And by dodge I mean Hawaii. ;)

Anonymous said...

Slipping on icy sidewalks and grumbling into cups in bars and cafes, not playing a ukulele. Yes. I feel as though you have described by life perfectly. What you forgot to add, however, is "waking up at 2:30 in the morning to the sound of cat clicks and wings, and spending the next two hours trying to figure out what to do with the huge bat flying in circles in your apartment."

I do, however, feel that if I had had a ukulele it would have been a much more enjoyable and laid-back event.

Anonymous said...

my life, that is. I didn't get much sleep last night because THERE WAS A GIANT BAT FLYING IN CIRCLES IN MY APARTMENT FOR THREE HOURS!!!!!

A giant bat, made only more giant by its wingspan.

lalove said...

TARA I'm so glad you're back! You just made me feel much less crazy about wallowing in my own self pity in 81ยบ (for a week straight and counting) Santa Barbara. Oh how miserable my life is riding my bike to work with swaying palms and an ocean view.... and yet somehow it is. Oh, I guess I feel more crazy after all.